Tuesday, May 6, 2008

the longest trip ever

I honestly don't know what I was thinking. Actually, I think it is safer to say that I wasn't thinking.

Yesterday, I ventured across the state of FL with Andrew. Adam is teaching a boat training class in Ft. Myers, FL Monday through Thursday. I hated the thought of being without him and left at home to care for Andrew.

Mistake number one: Driving 4 hours, thinking it would be easy to travel with a one month old baby.
Mistake number two: Thinking I could do it by myself.

The first couple of hours were fine. After that it was a nightmare. I stopped at every possible stop, whether that be gas stations or a driveway on the side of the road. By the end of the trip I had heard Andrew's cry in every octave possible. And just think, I have to make the same drive on Thursday!

Now that I'm here it is not that bad. A change of scenery is good. Plus, free cable is a bonus! and it's nice to be with Adam, having his encouragement to push me along.

On the upside, Andrew has started smiling at me! It's not the gassy, we'll pretend it's a smile grimace, but an actual smile that lights up his whole face. I love it!

His one month check up was yesturday. He weighed in at 9 lbs 1 oz and is 21 3/4 inches long.
Doc said he is growing well. His eyes, ears, and heart were all good. All previous testings came back good. He has been fussy in the evenings and has had bad gas, so we were given a colic prescription. What we thought was diaper rash is actually and infection so we are on antibiotics and watching that very closly. In addition, he is airing out with no diaper whenever possible. Translation... pee on mama! I have learned that he likes to pee when he nurses and to take extra precaution. The rash is on the front on the lower abdomen, so I have progressed to a large diaper open at the front to let the air in. hopefully that will keep him from covering everything in our hotel room!

What an adventure!

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Hi Lisa, I stumbled across your site and wow, what a great job you've done with it! I loved all of the pictures of sweet Andrew. He truly is a precious baby! I wish you all the best on your drive home. I know that's got to be tough to travel alone and not be able to just jump in the backseat to try and calm him down. Hope to see you soon!